Tips for keeping your MapYourVoice use private:
- Create a strong password for MapYourVoice, and change it regularly (every 1-2 months)
- Create a previously unused pseudonym (not your real name) for using MapYourVoice.
- Use/create a separate email address from your normal email for using MapYourVoice.
- Do not give out your account credentials or personal information. MapYourVoice administrators and representatives will NEVER ask for your account password, or for personally identifying information.
- If you believe that someone has compromised your account, immediately change your password, and report the incident to MapYourVoice.
- When entering your password or other sensitive information on MapYourVoice, make sure the URL in your browser is correct, starting with “https://www.mapyourvoice.org”.
- Password-protect your computer/device/phone.
- Use your internet browser’s “incognito” or “private browsing” mode when accessing MapYourVoice.
- Turn off your browser’s auto-complete or form-completion options.
- Clear your browser’s recent history and cache after accessing MapYourVoice.
- Log out of MapYourVoice after each visit.
- Keep your device’s anti-virus and anti-spyware software up to date, and run them regularly. If these software are not installed on your device, we recommend you do so as soon as possible.
- If you believe your device has been infected with a virus, malware, or spyware, avoid accessing MapYourVoice with that device until you are certain the issue has been resolved. In the meantime, consider using another, trusted device, if available.
- If possible, only use MapYourVoice on a private network, which is password-protected. For example, it is not recommended to access your MapYourVoice account on the public wireless network at a Cafe, or at work.
- If you believe you are being stalked or otherwise illegally or unsafely monitored, prior to accessing MapYourVoice, you may want to contact a nearby shelter or law-enforcement to get protection.
MapYourVoice NEVER asks for your personally data (real name, address, phone number, birthdate, etc.) so it will never be compromised on our site.
As an account holder, your email address is stored with your account in order for the MapYourVoice site administrators and site software to communicate with you. This address is recorded in our secure member account database and is available to this site's administrative staff. As a nonprofit serving sexual violence survivors, we are committed to keeping your data confidential and secure. Your email address is not made public and is never sold or used for marketing purposes.